Beacon Health System now has a free phone screening for individuals in northern Indiana and southwest Michigan who have symptoms and are concerned they may have been exposed to coronavirus/COVID-19.
When calling the free hotline at 855-523-2225 callers will speak with a Beacon professional and answer questions related to symptoms, recent travel or possible exposure to individuals who have tested positive for coronavirus. Based on the answers provided, callers will be referred to the most appropriate level of care for further evaluation, if needed. Anyone experiencing life-threatening symptoms should call 9-1-1.
The hotline is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. Individuals do not need to be Beacon patients to use the free coronavirus phone screening service.
Help Keep Yourself Healthy
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following preventive actions for people to help protect themselves from respiratory illness:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
Help Keep Others Healthy
The CDC recommends that if you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.