COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Care Options at Beacon
NOTE: If you believe your condition is life threatening, call 9-1-1 or visit the nearest Emergency Room. Also, due to increased demand, wait times may be longer than normal at all Beacon locations including telehealth.
Beacon Health System is here for you. As we shift our resources to deliver outstanding care to critically ill patients, here are some key things we want you to know. If you have a scheduled appointment at Beacon Health System and it has been cancelled, we will reach out to you. If you are in an at-risk group, or simply prefer to not keep your appointment, we understand if you cancel. If you’re feeling sick, please call your provider.
Questions about Screenings?
The Beacon Answerline is available every day, 8 am to 5 pm.
Mobile Testing Units
View Dates & Locations of our mobile testing units through May 2020.
Beacon Testing Centers are open in Bremen, Elkhart, and Granger, Indiana.
I'm worried about COVID-19, so what can I do?
For individuals who have symptoms and are concerned they may have been exposed to coronavirus/COVID-19, there are 2 options to determine if testing is needed. Both options are outlined below along with a brief description of what to expect. If you are having problems breathing or your symptoms are life threatening, call 911 immediately.
Call Beacon’s AnswerLine at 855.523.2225 between 8am – 5pm
- A clinician will answer your call and ask you a few screening questions.
- Based on your answers to the screening questions, you may be directed to contact a doctor.
- You can call your physician and they may refer you to MedPoint or a scheduled telehealth visit.
- If you call outside of these hours you may leave a message and someone will call you back during business hours.
- If the doctor identifies your symptoms similar to those of COVID-19, they will refer you to a testing site.
Call your physician directly
- Call volumes may be up, so we appreciate your patience in advance.
- Your physician will ask you a few screening questions.
- Depending on your answers they may refer you to a testing site or recommend self-quarantine
In-Car Screening at MedPoint Urgent Care
If eligible and with a physician order, get screened from the safety of your car. Eligible patients can be tested through in-car screenings at MedPoint Main Street., Ireland Road, Elkhart General Hospital or Community Hospital of Bremen, all part of Beacon Health System.
We also encourage you to call the Beacon AnswerLine at 855-523-2225 or to obtain a referral from your physician.
What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with Chills
- Muscle Pain
- Sore throat or other respiratory symptoms
- New loss of taste or smell
What protocol does Beacon follow when we are treating a confirmed case?
A patient who exhibits symptoms and reports the right travel history or exposure will be tested with a respiratory swab from the mouth or nose, similar to a flu swab test. This is not a blood test. That swab would be sent to a lab. We anticipate, but cannot guarantee, a 2-4 day turnaround for results. At this time, the treatment for the virus is to manage the symptoms. There is no specific treatment to decrease complications or cure the disease. The CDC guidelines at this time do not recommend we give Tamiflu or antivirals.
What happens if I tested positive for COVID-19?
- Test results will be communicated by your provider along with instructions
- Wear a face mask when you are around other people and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. Family members and those around you should also wear face masks.
- If you are experiencing worsening symptoms, seek emergency medical attention and let the caregivers know you have COVID-19
- Visit our CDC online resource for additional information.